Thursday, September 15, 2011

$1K Karma Cupcakes for Charity

I convinced my manager to let me to contact the media after a third break-in at our Chapter's Headquarters. We were not enticing to the media because the disease we were trying to cure usually harmed the elderly. I was certain this would get us instant exposure. Afterall, what news source doesn't like crime. I sent my first press release and was hooked.

CBS and FOX immediatly came to cover the story and checks began arriving from people who could not believe that anyone would steal from the elderly.

From there, I initiated the $1K Karma Cupcakes for Charity bake sale to help raise $20K from our break-in. The media ate up the Karma Cupcakes. We were featured on
WSB, USA Today, AJC Buzz, Project 96.1, Star 94, The Fish, The Fan 680, The Regular Guys, The Bert Show, and 99X. I persuaded my boss to take some $1K Karma Cupcakes to local radio and television stations to be delivered with the press release on the morning of our bake sale. My marketing strategy was a success and we were featured on several morning radio and television shows.

We had never gotten media coverage to this extent before, and I really wanted to secure the top rated news station in Atlanta, so I started calling 11 Alive at 4am on the morning of the bake sale. I made friends with the newsroom secretary and used this to get Julie Wolfe to come film at the bake sale for the Noon News. CBS, and WSB came out to film also, along with AJC, and the Marietta Daily Journal. AJC featured us in a follow up story, so for the first time we were top of mind, even as an old person's disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment